I think I've been posting a lot recently, because the alternative is sorting through junk to pack. Here's one thing we LOVE about our house in Dar. The back yard has two awesome trees with tons of strong vines hanging from them. They make incredible swings and Tarzan ropes. The kids love to climb up on the wall nearby, then go swinging on the vines. (There are concrete blocks below, so I'm very thankful that none of the children have split their heads open doing this.) This has been a fun house for us, and we'll especially miss the yard. It's large enough that the kids are able to ride their bikes on the concrete, plus we have a chicken coop (no I won't miss the chickens), 3 rabbits and 2 turtles running around loose, a trampoline, and a tree house. We're particularly fond of our largest turtle, Kobe, as he now comes running (turtle speed) when he thinks we might have treats for him.Here's a video of Chickenella trying to get some watermelon out from under Kobe. (Kobe has the brilliant strategy of laying on top of the food he wants to keep the other animals from getting. We think he's a turtle genious.) Chickenella received her name from my sister, Cheryl, because the other chickens are out to kill her. We have to keep her separate, so she runs around the yard with the turtles and rabbits. The other chickens literally pecked a hole in her head. She looked like Headwound Harry from Saturday Night Live. We never imagined she'd recover, but she's gone on to enjoy a pretty good life. In anticipation for our upcoming move, she's already been placed at a new home where she is no doubt pooping on their doormat. Her dream is to be a "house-chicken" and she attempts to go in any door left open to her. Unfortunately, the doors are closed in her face, so she waits patiently for her human "peeps" to come outside and keep her company. (All of course leading to the aforementioned...doormat poo.)
3 comments:
Oh my gosh, this post made me laugh so hard! You should be a writer Chel. 23 days to go..... I can't wait to see you!
You are SO living my life- out and about in Africa with a hoarding turtle in your back yard!! Loved the video- I've always been fond of the quirky ways of turtles :)
Hi there! It's Kristi Kunz from the UCLA ward. I got your blog address from Jennie Youngquist. I thought I would come and check it out. I had forgotten that you guys are in Africa. Wow! That is awesome. I had to chuckle while reading this post, because when I was looking at those cement blocks under the swing, I kept thinking how on earth would you keep them from splitting their head open, and then you commented on it. Glad to know, that as of yet, no cracked noggin's. Sounds like you have had quite the adventure. We have a blog site too that I started a few months ago. When things settle down for you, you'll have to swing by. www.kunz-4.blogspot.com Take care!
Post a Comment